SHARE GREAT BOOKS + EARN AN INCOME + KEEP IT FLEXIBLE
COULD YOU BE A GOOD BOOK LIAISON?We don't know, but maybe these questions might help you answer that question.
- Do you like children's books? What if they are in Spanish?
- Do you feel comfortable recommending the purchase of a good children's book to your family, friends and contacts?
- How about asking them to ask their contacts to consider a book?
- Can you dedicate a few hours a week to do this?
WHAT DOES A BOOK LIAISON DO?
Glad you asked...
Book Liaisons help us promote our books. They do it in two ways:
- In person - talking to family, friends, school teachers, and other book fans they can find in their ecosystem, or
- Through social media - FB, Instagram, Twitter, or any other channel they like to use.
When they talk about our books (in person or through social media), they encourage their contacts to visit our website and make a purchase. When these purchases take place, the Book Liaison receives a commission as a thank you for their help promoting the work of our authors and illustrators.
That's all. That simple.
HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY BOOKS EACH BOOK LIAISON SOLD?
Each Book Liaison is assigned a unique number. When promoting the books, the Book Liaison shares this number, which acts as a discount code. When the client uses the discount code (the Book Liaison's number), they get free shipping in all their orders.
At the end of the month we count the total amount in book orders under each discount code and pay the Book Liaison a 20% to 40% commission over those those sales (20% if they sold <5 books that month; 40% if the sold 5 or more). We pay all commissions on a monthly basis.
HOW DO YOU GET STARTED?
- Start by filling out our short application with your contact information and available time for an interview.
- We'll email you confirming the interview date and time
- We do the interview, which is more of a Q&A session for both you and us to make sure you understand the role.
- After the interview, it takes about 1 week to get you all set up and ready to start.
Really, VERY, VERY IMPORTANT.
Before sending us your application, make sure you understand the following:
- As a Book Liaison, you engage with Syncretic Press as an independent contractor. This means you work when you want and as much as you want, but it also means there is no base salary. You receive commissions only if you sell our books.
There are 3 important requirements for this job:
- The Book Liaison needs to be confident or optimistic that they can actually sell books
- They need to like children’s books in general
- They need to not depend on this job for existence
With this in mind, and to help you and us decide if this job is for you, know that we ask all Book Liaisons to purchase a minimum of 6 books at a 50% discount. Yes, you would have to cough up $40 bucks or so before you start.
Rational for this:
- Book Liaisons need to see at least some books to be able to promote them properly and honestly. We can't give them entirely free or we would go bankrupt. Best solution we came up with: we sell these samples at a deep discount.
- $40 bucks will probably feel like too much risk if you are not confident that you can sell 6 books. And if you don’t think you can sell 6 books, you should not become a Book Liaison. Just don't do it. We are cool about it, don't sweat it.
- The $40 will also test your "liking" of children’s books. If that expense feels too heavy or just too much for 6 children's books, it is possible your love for children’s books is there, yet it is not as great as your first impulse told you. All good, we are OK with that. And it is great that now you know that about yourself!
- Last, if $40 bucks feels like an amount you can't risk spending right now, we understand and encourage you not to apply. You probably need something more like a regular job, with a base salary, benefits, etc. We understand, no hard feelings, we have all been there.
DO YOU NEED TO SPEAK SPANISH TO BE A BOOK LIAISON?
The short answer is no. Close to 50% of English speaking American families are interested in their kids learning to speak Spanish. To that number, you can add the close to 50 million Latinos that live in the US, many of them, speaking good English and just interested in making sure their kids don't forget their Spanish.
If you still think you want to do this, feel the application! We look forward to have you on board!
Syncretic Press Team